Simple Crockpot Chicken Gumbo

I live no where close to Cajun country but I have visited the south a couple times over the years. One of my favorite places to eat was New Orleans. As a cook, I love their use of the holy trinity (bell pepper, onion and celery) and the delicious roux! Best gumbo and fried chicken I have ever eaten! Ever! All the dishes are full of flavor and definitely soul-comforting. This next dish does not disappoint but let me preface that this is my rendition of gumbo. I know this history of this recipe is sacred and well-regarded. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! And you haven't had the chance to visit New Orleans, I highly suggest you go!


Ingredients: 
1lb of chicken thighs
1lb of andouille sausage
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 large onion *1/2 inch pieces
1 bell pepper *1/2 inch pieces
1 cup of celery *1/2 inch pieces
1 1/2 cup of frozen okra *diced
3 bay leaves
4 cloves of garlic *minced
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 tablespoon of cajun seasoning
3 cups of chicken stock
Rice for serving!

Optional:
Shrimp
Hot sauce

Add all your ingredients to the crockpot: chicken thighs, sausage, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, celery, okra, bay leaves, garlic, spices and chicken stock. Be careful not to overflow your crockpot. Add ingredients with caution!

*if you have some time, I like to brown my chicken with the skin on in a heavy pot before adding to the crockpot. This will add another level of flavor to your gumbo.

Cover and cook on low for 3 hours. Remove the chicken thighs from the crockpot, remove chicken bones and the skin and discard. Proceed to shred only the chicken meat and place back into the pot. Cover and cook on low for another 3-4 hours.

About 5 minutes before you are ready to serve, add in the shrimp to the crockpot and cook until the shrimp is pink. Taste test. Add salt to taste. *remove bay leaves

Serve over rice and add your favorite hot sauce! Enjoy when hot! 

XX 
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.