Khaub Piaj (Ko Pia)- Hmong Chicken Noodle Soup

I have been feeling under the weather lately and I wanted something that was extra comforting. What is better than homemade chicken noodle soup with homemade noodles? This dish can be eaten plain or with any condiments you like. I like versatility in comforting dishes, this way you can make it even more special for your taste. The only labor intensive part is making the noodles. This was actually my first time making the noodles so if I can make it, anyone can!

Ingredients: (serving for 4)

1.5 cups of rice flour 
1.5 cups of glutinous rice flour 
(both can be easily found any Asian market)
1 cup of BOILING HOT WATER - emphasis on the boiling hot =)
1lb of chicken
1 chicken bullion cube - if you wish


scoop out any floating fats - sounds gross - even more gross if left in! 


First step is boil water in a big quart pot (10-12qt) and then add your chicken. I used chicken thighs because that's what I had on hand. Plus, it had bones, you know the best stocks come from some sort of bone. This is where I add one bullion cube. I'm a cheater. :) 


As you wait for the chicken to cook, mix both flours and slowly add in the boiling hot water in a mixer - if you do not have a mixer you can do this by hand. Use a big bowl and slowly add in water to the flour. Slowly kneading the dough. I had to add a bit more flour so please adjust this ratio based on your dough. The dough should not be sticky to the touch and very smooth looking (pic below). 


The fun part! Rolling out the dough, I cut the dough into half and then I roll out each half, till about 1/8 inch thick then cut into strips. Use some tapioca starch (or just more rice flour) to prevent sticking. I like my noodles a little thicker but you can cut them really slim if you prefer. All up to you! See below. 


Oh, oodles of noodles! 


Remove the chicken from the pot, you can shred with two forks or use a mortar like I did. 


Then add the noodles to the pot once you removed all the chicken. 


Once the chicken is shredded then add the chicken back to the pot and cook until the noodles are cooked through. The broth should be much thicker as well. The rice noodles should have enough starch to create a thick broth. 

OMG! 

I like to add: fish sauce, chili oil, fried onions, cilantro, dry Thai chili pepper and some black pepper. No salt needed! It is seriously the best comfort food after a long day. Nothing cheers you up like a big bowl of homemade chicken noodle soup. 

Some people like to soy sauce and sriracha. Just some more suggestions. Endless! 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy 



2 comments:

Powered by Blogger.