Gyudon - Japanese Beef Bowl

My family loves Yoshinoya. Loves may be an understatement. I am actually not a fan of the chain but I am a lover of gyudon. I wanted to make this dish in honor of my family but in the style that make my tastebuds happy. I have never met a sliced beef dish I did not like - Chinese hot pot, Korean BBQ and gyudon!

Ingredients: 
1 lb of sliced beef - I used rib-eye
1 large onion - thinly sliced
1 cup of dashi
2 tbsp of mirin
1 tbsp of sugar
2 tbsp of soy sauce

Other ingredients: 
Cooked rice
Egg
Pickled ginger

Its best to try to find sliced beef or have your butcher slice the beef for you. They are just able to cut the beef super thin! There is definitely a different texture to beef when cut thin. If you are unable, I suggest freezing the steak first, and then slice as thin as possible. 

You'll want to stew the onions in the dashi (which can also be substituted with chicken/beef stock) and mirin, soy sauce, and sugar. Bring your sauce to a boil. But before throwing in the sliced onions, please season your stock to taste. Feel free to add some more sugar or soy sauce depending on how you like it. I added a bit more soy sauce and then threw in my onions. 

Please cover your sauteing onions otherwise your stock will evaporate. Once the onion is soft and translucent (5 mins), add in the sliced beef. 

Once the beef is in the pot, cook your egg to your liking. I cooked it over easy - as I'm becoming more sensitive to egg yolk. You can also poach your egg separately or you can add your egg directly to the pan and cover with a lid. You can also scramble your raw egg and then pour the scramble raw eggs into the pan as well. So many choices when it comes to the egg preparation! 

Serve over cooked rice and top with your egg and pickled ginger. As always S&P your dish. (I forgot green onion for color) The pickled ginger really MAKES this dish delicious. 


Enjoy!
XX
Kathy




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.