Easy Ginger and Garlic Crab

I finally got a hold of some crab. Did you know crabs are in season when there is a letter R in the month? Its just something I've been told but then I also do not point at the moon because my grandma said someone will cut my ear if I do. You believe what you believe! I digress. Back to this crab recipe. This is something I grew up eating, one of my favorite dishes from my dad, who is a GREAT cook!



Ingredients: 
2 lbs of crab, live if possible
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 shallot, minced
4 slices of ginger
1 stalk of green onion
3 tbsp of Chinese cooking wine
2 tsp of soy sauce
2 tsp of sugar
1 jalapeno, slices
pinch of white pepper
2 tbsp of AP flour
1/4 cup of chicken stock


First you'll want to clean and prep the crab for cooking. Instructions I used: How to clean crab. Once the crab is clean, lightly dredge the crab pieces with flour. For the vegetables, slice the green onions in 2 inches pieces, separating white stem portions from the green section. At this time, also slice the white portion of the green onion in half diagonally, so you should have two 2-inch pieces.The green portion of the green onion can remain whole because these will cook down easily.

Also, at this time prepare your sauce, combine the cooking wine, soy sauce, white pepper, salt, and sugar in a separate bowl. Save for later.

Heat your wok or large pan with cooking oil, about 4 tbsp, once the oil is hot, add in your floured crab pieces and cook for less than a minute. You'll be cooking the crab through with the sauce. The crab will turn red (if you've never cooked crab before). Remove the crab on to a clean plate.

In the same cooking vessel, add another tbsp of cooking oil and add your aromatics, the minced garlic and ginger slices. Cook until you see the garlic and ginger caramelizing, add in the jalapeno slices and the white portions of the green onion.

Now the crab finally will meet the ingredients, add in the par-cooked crab, mix with the aromatics and add in your sauce mixture. Toss to make sure the crab pieces have been fully immersed in the ingredients, add in your chicken stock. Cover your pan. I didn't have a lid large enough - therefore, I used a sheet pan. Cook for 5 minutes.

Finally remove the lid, add in your green onions, turn off the heat, mix the crab again so the green onions cook through with the residual heat. 

Serve hot!

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy



No comments:

Powered by Blogger.