South Korea Moments

South Korea is where I met some of the kindest people on my three month journey. South Korea may take a backseat on the "bucket list" (reverting to Japan, or beach destinations) travel destinations for a lot of people but I knew that I really wanted to see this country for myself. At first glance, the people seem a little cold but to be fair, the weather was COLD and remember to not judge a book by its cover. Once I started asking questions or looked a little flustered, someone was willing to help me find my way. Often caring to ask where I was from and how long I was visiting for. Unfortunately, I was extremely sick for most of my time there so I was not able to venture out as much as I wanted. However, I wanted to share some of my favorite moments:

My first night I stumbled across the Dongdaemun Night Market. You cannot miss it, the nearby streets are dark and cold but then you turn the corner and this market is bright with street vendors selling mandu (Korean dumplings), mung bean pancakes, spicy rice cakes, and soups. As I was freezing in 20 degree weather, I needed something to warm my soul, and I decided on handmade noodles in an anchovy seaweed based soup. This was one of the most delicious soups I've had in my life. It was so simple but so soul warming. The ajumma (Auntie in Korea) who made it was so friendly and made sure I was full once I finished my bowl - offering unlimited kimchi and a few complimentary dumplings. I just love the pride each of the food stalls had in their hearts. These night markets are always flushed with locals and foreigners, all enjoying delicious food that doesn't burn a whole through your wallet. America needs to step their "fast food" game up! I had to try Korean Fried Chicken - I wish I had more of an appetite to try out more than one location. The chicken I had was so crispy, so thinly battered and I love that they use an entire chicken for each order. Its not just parts of a many chickens but a single chicken. Of course, my favorite part of Korea is their food - it is just amazing.


I am a sucker for grocery shopping so in every country I try to locate how locals purchase their produce. Korean's are known for great home-cooking and their open air food markets displayed the passion to use locally sourced and seasonal produce. One of my favorite seasonings is sesame oil and I was so excited to visit a vendor that made fresh sesame oil. I wish I was able to purchase a bottle but I was not sure about regulation - transporting foods internationally. This was LIFE-CHANGING. This flavor was unlike any I have ever tasted, it was so remarkable. I love moments like this when I am so surprised and intrigued by something I did not put much thought into.


The OME Cooking Lab with Minseon, Daehee and Malhee was the highlight of my trip. I was recovering from my flu and was on the fence about attending. The moment I met with the group, I was embraced with care and their passion for food. The 4 hours spent with the group felt like minutes, we shared stories about our homeland and our passion for delicious eats. We cooked and eat our dinner like a family and it really made me feel less homesick and flu sick. I would highly recommend this to anyone in Seoul.



I also loved the shopping in Korea - being a petite individual I loved that the clothes fit perfectly. If you did not know, most Asian countries have "one size" so when you shop at the outside vendors they only sell one size fits all. This may be off-putting to Americans but this was my heaven! Though my ventures were minimal, South Korea has a special place in my heart. In many ways, I feel like their customs are similar to Hmong people. They are devoted to their ancestors and families, superstitious and spiritual, show love through food and believe in their culture through and through.



XX
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.