Flashback to Luang Prabang

8:13 AM
Situated on the peninsula formed by the Mekong and the Nam Khan River, Luang Prabang is a perfect spot to unwind, eat good food and enjoy the scenery. This was my 16th city in over 2 months of traveling around Southeast Asia and it was truly the perfect ending. This French inspired UNESCO World Heritage Site is small but full of delicious coffee shops, delectable cafes and lots of shopping.

I allocated a full week to Luang Prabang because this is the birthplace of both of my parents and grandma. I wanted to take in the scenery and honestly do a lot of nothing. This was a perfect "slow down" and therefore, much slower pace of life to prepare me for my trip back to the States. There are no Starbucks or McDonalds here. The streets of Luang Prabang are laced with monks in bright orange robes moving from temple to temple, street vendors selling "fast food" and independent businessmen trying to lure you into their business for a boat ride or elephant sanctuary visit. This city is definitely walkable, or bike-able - hope on a bike to explore the temples and outskirts of this beautiful place. I love that I did not have to haggle for a tuk tuk or taxi. My favorite day was reading an entire book on a bench by the river with no cares in the world.

Some of my favorite moments from this beautiful city...

Watching boats pass by on the Mekong River. 

I took a stroll alongside the Mekong River every single morning. There are coffee shops and restaurants on either side of the road facing the river. Pick a spot and enjoy your food or coffee and watch the boats pass by. There's a calmness that surrounds you here.

Sunset boat ride on the Mekong River. 

The Mekong River is significant to me because of my Hmong heritage. This is the river my grandmother and other Hmong families had to cross to find safety during the Secret War. I wanted to make sure I spent some time on the river and decided on a boat ride on a long boat. I was gifted this view of endless clouds during sunset. What an emotional feeling that overcame me when I just saw clouds blanketing the sunset skyline. Truly one of my favorite memories of my Laos trip. 

Kuang Si Waterfall


This was reminiscent of Havasupai Falls in Arizona, which is one of the most beautiful bodies of water and waterfalls I have ever seen in real life. This was comparable. It was pretty magical and I wished I had someone to swim with. One of the times I actually felt alone on my trip. It's a place to enjoy with friends, family and/or loved ones. It's just so beautiful, needs to be experienced with someone. The cascade of the bluest green water that my camera could not even pick up and do it justice. A must visit!  Go early, before 11am to beat the crowds. 

The grilled meats of Luang Prabang. 

The most delicious papaya salad I have ever eaten. So good, I ate it 4 times in 7 days. 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.