Cucumber Salad in Vinegar

Sorry for such a big gap between posts! Life has been (really work) has been so hectic recently and I've been extra unmotivated once I get home from work. I have worked one some great recipes lately so bear with me and I'll have some new ones up shortly!!

This recipe is a great refreshing dish that is perfect for summer! Summer here in SoCal comes so early - we really only have one season so I'm always looking for something cold and fresh to eat. Plus I love to eat items that are vinegar based without all the sodium (aka pickles). This side dish is so simple!!!

Ingredients:
2 large cucumbers - I do not peel them but peel if preferred
Salt - liberal sprinkling over the cucumbers
1/4 rice vinegar
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 drops of sesame oil (a little goes a long way)
1 1/2 tablespoons of sugar
1 tablespoon - vegetable oil

Optional:
Red pepper flakes - garnish when eating


My colorful picture of the condiments! 



First step is to cut the cucumbers into bite sized pieces and sprinkle all salt over. Please do this and leave for 30 minutes to draw out the water from the cucumbers. Okay to skip this step but if you do skip your salad will be more watery. Still delicious!! After 30 minutes, rinse the cucumbers in cold water to rid of the extra salt. 

Now combine the other ingredients into a bowl (rice vinegar, sugar, oil, sesame oil and soy sauce) along with the cucumbers. Mix together and you can eat right away. Definitely taste better after a couple hours to 3 days in the marinade. 

I serve mine with a sprinkle of red pepper flakes


Enjoy!
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.