Mongolian (hmongolian) beef

Again with the takeout but at home theme. Do not look at pictures of food online or yelp... creates this desire to EAT IT NOW! However, we all know takeout Chinese-takeout food is not the healthiest, it is full of sodium and most of it is usually deep fried (yes, even the original version of this dish, sneaky sneaky). Therefore, I decided to make some Chinese takeout food at home without so much guilt. However, even I couldn't have this dish without a big bowl of perfectly steamed white rice. So prepare some before you make this dish.

Ingredients:
1lb of beef, sliced thinly on an angle, against the grain- I am using flank but you can use rib-eye, even chuck
2 large garlic cloves - minced
1 tablespoon of minced ginger
1 whole stalk of green onion - 2 inch cut
1/4 cup of brown sugar
3 tablespoons of soy sauce
1 tablespoons of cooking oil
1/4 cup of water
1 tsp of cornstarch
some of the colorful ingredients! 

Start by searing your beef in a hot pan with your choice of cooking oil (no olive oil), I am using a cast iron to get a good sear. Most recipes call for you to deep fry your beef but I think that's just silly! While the beef is cooking... in a separate pan... 
Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, water and cornstarch (I mix the cornstarch with the water to help with the consistency). Cook this sauce on low for 3-5 minutes, it will thicken, please taste and adjust to your taste. Some enjoy it more sweet or savory. Always adjust a recipe to fit your taste-buds! Taste every step and adjust. :) After a couple minutes I add in my garlic and ginger. If you do not like the more raw taste of garlic or ginger, I would suggest cooking them directly with the beef. 

Add in your green onions, I do not think I put enough, next time, 2 STALKS! 
Literally a minute later, once the green onions have wilted. Its done! So steamy and gooey looking. CANNOT WAIT! 
Serve over rice. EAT!! 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.