Thai Coconut Soup (Tom Kha)

I was given this recipe by a good friend and I was in love at first sip. Of course, I've adapted the recipe to fit my taste buds but the foundation is still similar to the traditional tom kha (or at least I hope so!). I love protein in my soups so I added chicken and shrimp. Yes, I am fancy like that. Of course, you can choose any protein you would like, or add more vegetables if you are going vegetarian. This dish is so heartwarming and soul-satisfying. I am definitely taking advantage of the last few days of winter we have left here in SoCal and eating at much soup as I can!

Ingredients: (for 2) 
1 tablespoon of ginger - i just chopped it 1/8 inch thick pieces
1/2 stalk of fresh lemongrass - kept whole
1 cup of cilantro stalks
3-4 lemon leaves
1 teaspoon Thai red curry taste
2 cups of chicken broth
2 tablespoon of fish sauce
2 tablespoon of brown sugar
2 cups of mushrooms - sliced
2 cans of coconut milk  (9 oz)
1/2 of sliced chicken breast
1 lime
1/2lb of shrimp - cleaned and deveined

Optional:
Thai chilies
Cilantro for garnish
I love when my food board is so colorful! 


The first step is to bring the fragrance out of the curry paste, so add some oil to the pot and cook the curry paste for one minute. Add in the chicken stalk and all the aromatics. Cook for 10 minutes. 
Then I strain the aromatics out of the soup - you can leave it in but I like for easy eating when I have my soup, so I remove the loose pieces! Than add in your coconut milk and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes, add in your fish sauce, sugar, lime juice and then taste. If it needs more sugar or lime juice, please add to your taste. Finally add in the mushrooms and shrimp (add in the Thai chilies) . Cook until mushrooms and shrimps are finished. Serve while pipping hot! You know how you get it in Thai restaurants, in a flaming pot! :) 
Garnish with cilantro. You can eat with rice but it's so delicious alone! 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.