Homemade Banh Xeo - Easy Recipe

Of all the Asian cuisines out there, Vietnamese is definitely in my top 3 if not number 1. I know, I know, I am Hmong. Hey! We all come from around the same region and have some similar dishes. Therefore, Vietnamese, Laos, Thai... I consider my own cuisine. Maybe because I'm a sauce girl and Vietnamese have the very best sauces. Yum Yum. Nom. Nom. I decided to learn how to make this next dish because I never want to order it at a restaurant because it does not come out as crispy as it does at home. I wished I had a Vietnamese mama to make me these, however, I don't, so I am making my own and its actually really simple!



Ingredients: 
Batter
(1) Banh Xeo mix
or 12 oz of rice flour and 1 tablespoon of turmeric (for the yellow color)
(1) cup of beer
(2) cups of cold water
(1) 14 oz can of coconut milk
(1) cup (3-4 stalk) of chopped green onions

Filling 
1/2 lb pork butt- sliced thinly - you can use pork belly (
1/2 lb of raw shrimp (de-veined and peeled)
1 small onion - sliced thinly
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 cups of bean sprouts

Accompaniments 
Mint, red leaf lettuce, cilantro, Vietnamese dipping sauce

Mix the batter ingredients together. Let sit for at least 15 minutes. 
Heat some cooking oil in a shallow but wide pan (I am using a crepe pan because duh, this is a crepe!), start by adding your aromatics and then add in your protein. Placement is anywhere but remember you will be folding your crepe in half. 
Once the proteins are cooked - slowly ladle some batter into the pan with one hand, with the other swirl the batter so it evenly coats the bottom of the pan. You do not want it too thick, just enough to cover the bottom of the pan. 
Then cover for about 2-3 minutes. You'll hear it sizzle. Uncover and you'll see that the sides are curling up. 
I don't like my bean sprouts too cooked - so I let the bottom crisp up for another 1-2 minutes. Patience for that extra crispy crepe! Add in your bean sprouts and then fold it over carefully. The crepe should be crispy on the outside! 
OMG! I ate about 10 of these - I did one at a time. As in, I ate one and then went to cook another. You want to eat it when its fresh and crispy. I have the most patience for food. I wished I had that for people. :) Serve with your accompaniments! Batter is good for two days - just stir the batter well before each use. 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy




1 comment:

  1. Delicious, I am craving to have it but sadly I don't have all the ingredients with us. Thank you for sharing the recipe with us, will be having it soon for sure

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.