Thai Chicken Satay Skewers

Protein, protein, protein. I have been muttering these words lately because I have become obsessed with reading "getting fit" blogs. Trust me, I'm not anywhere close to being a body builder but I do feel much better. I have more energy and definitely sleeping better at night. So if you are not working out, I highly suggest it, its good for your soul and mind. Anyways, isn't this a food blog? :) So I was thinking of recipes that are high in protein and of course, chicken skewers! However, I wanted something a bit more flavorful and still easy to make. Enough babbling... this is an adaptation from Serious Eats Thai Chicken Satay.

Ingredients: 
1lb of chicken breast
Bamboo skewers
1 tsp of turmeric (for that beautiful color)
1/2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of ground coriander
2 tablespoons of fish sauce
1 lime (about 1 tablespoon juiced)
2 tablespoons of brown sugar
3 garlic cloves (I put 5 but I love garlic)
1 stalk of lemon grass
1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

Sauce: 
I used Serious Eats, its so good!

Grillin' the chicken

 In the food processor, place the garlic, lemon grass (I pre-cut into 1 inch pieces) and vegetable oil. Once the lemon grass and garlic are almost paste like, I add in the spices and fish sauce. The chicken breast need to be cut into 1/2 inch strips, please make sure they are all even so they all cook at the same time, much easier that way! Put the mixture in a bowl and add the chicken. Mix well and let marinate for at least 1 hour - but best if you let it sit in the fridge for 2 hours.

Remember to soak your bamboo sticks - I place a bowl to hold the sticks under water. This prevents the sticks from burning while cooking. 
After the 2nd hour, remove chicken from the fridge skewer the chicken pieces up! Then grill until each piece is cooked.  I am not an expert at grill marks, as you can see below. Oh well, its still yummy! While the meat is cooking, make sure to make the sauce!
OMG... so beautiful and so DELICIOUS! Thanks Serious Eats! 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.