Korean Braised Chicken -Dak-bokkeumtang

Fall is here! FIN.AL.LY! I am over summer, well, summer is my least favorite season. Which is ironic because I live in So-Cal, where summer is pretty much year round. Anyways, to the important topic of food. I love Korean food. Its spicy and their stews are served boiling hot. My two favorite things in life. Spice and really hot food. I am known to order a pizza and re-toast it in the oven directly from the delivery man's hands. I like my food how I like my food. Along with loving Korean food, I ADORE Maangchi! If you do not know her, www.maangchi.com. She's the BEST! Well, I decided to make her braised chicken recipe (its a one pot meal) and it did not disappoint. Well, enough rambling and on to the menu!


Ingredients: (for 4-5 servings) 
2lbs chicken - dark meat (I chose drumsticks)
1/2 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cup of minced garlic
1 large onion - 1" thick
1/2 cup of korean hot pepper paste
1/4 cup of hot pepper flakes
2 tbs of brown sugar
4 white potatoes - 1" thick
4 stalks of green onion - diced
2 jalapenos - diced
3-4 cups of water - or chicken stock for extra flavor

Optional:
1 tsp of sesame oil

Prepare the vegetables. Once you've prepared the potatoes, onion, green onion and garlic. Time to start making the paste. Add in the korean red pepper paste, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and soy sauce. I added a bit of water (1/2 cup) until it forms a paste. See image below. 



Once the paste is made. Time to prepare the protein. I took a heavy-bottomed pot and started to brown my chicken. I feel like this locks in the flavor of your protein much better than if I just placed all the ingredients into a pot and started boiling the chicken.
To infuse even more flavor, I added the minced garlic directly into the chicken. I love the smell of garlic cooking. Delicious! 
Once the chicken has been browned. Add in the paste mixture and the water. I added water to fully cover the chicken. Add in the onions and potatoes and cover. If you need to leave for the day, I suggest you could cook this on slow in a crock pot. It would be so nice and tender. Once the potatoes are tender, you are ready to eat. I like to taste the stew - adjust to your liking. I added some salt and a little more red pepper flakes. I like it super spicy! 

Serve over rice and enjoy! 

Thanks!
Kathy


Maangchi's recipe: http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/dakbokkeumtang 

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.