Simple Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

What's new? Well, in Cali, palm tress don't shed their leaves or turn brown (wait, maybe from the drought) so it looks the same even though we are officially in Fall. Oh! I ran my first half-marathon! And the myth is true, it's like getting a tattoo, you want another one! So I will be doing another half in February with the hopes to do a full marathon Nov '17. Wish me luck with a full-time job and full-time graduate school. I complain when I'm busy and I definitely complain when I have nothing to do. So I rather be complaining about lack of sleep. Anyways, aren't you here for a recipe? Yes! I have a good one, super easy and super delicious, cheesy chicken enchiladas. So so good!


Ingredients: 
12 flour tortillas (8") or corn tortillas
3 boneless chicken breast
One large onion - diced
1 can of green enchilada sauce
3 cups of grated cheese - I used a cheddar mix
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of chili powder
1 can of corn
1 can of diced tomatoes

Garnish- optional 
3 tomatoes - diced
Cilantro - minced
Salsa
Sour cream
Brown your diced onion. So good when you let them caramelize. It's like magic! Patience is a virtue and it definitely makes it delicious in this instance. Set aside once you've caramelized these beauties. 
Season your chicken breast with the cumin and chili powder. You can add garlic powder if you would like - cooking should always be adjusted to your taste buds! Definitely add some S&P. Brown your chicken breast on both sides and cook thoroughly. It took me about 7-8 minutes on both sides since I had thick pieces of chicken. 
 In a large bowl, you'll want to shred the chicken breast. I used two forks and started working my way through the meat. Caution, the chicken will be hot, so be careful.
Once the chicken is shredded, stir in the corn and diced tomatoes. I tasted the mixture and adjusted to taste. I like to add some sweet corn, I feel like it adds a bit of extra flavor to the dish. 
In a shallow bowl, put some of your enchilada sauce. You will want to dip each tortilla before you add the filling. Extra flavor! 
Now start filling! I placed the chicken mixture first, the yummy caramelized onions and then the cheesy cheese on top. See below!, looks ready to eat! 

Repeat the process until you've filled up your casserole pan. Remember to line your tray with some of your enchilada sauce so the sauce is distributed throughout the dish. Once you've made all your enchiladas, pour the remainder of the sauce and then top generously with your cheese. Cook at 350 degrees for 20 minutes, or until the cheese has fully melted and the sauce is bubbling. I like to the crispy parts of cheese on top! 
Top with your garnish - I don't like sour cream. But I know many people do! 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.