Asian Style Braised Oxtail

I went on a trip to Miami a few years ago and had this oxtail stew that I still cannot get out of my mind. I have told so many friends and family about it. I wanted to pay homage to more Asian flavors but still have that deep, comforting feeling I got from eating the Jamaican oxtail stew. This dish is super easy and so flavorful! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did making it! 


Ingredients: 
3lbs of oxtails - found readily at Asian Supermarkets 
8-10 cloves of garlic 
4-5 star anise 
4 bay leaves 
3 half-inch thick slices of ginger 
1/2 cup of Shaoxing wine or dry red sherry
2 tbsp dark soy sauce 
3 tbsp light soy sauce 
2 tbsp brown sugar 
1 1/2 cups of water 
1 tsp of white pepper 
S&P to taste 

So woody! 
Wash and dry thoroughly the oxtails. In a deep bottom pot, heat oil over medium-high heat and brown all the oxtails on all sides. Caramelizing the meat, helps to lock in the flavor, its a step I find that is well worth the effort. Once every piece is browned, remove from the pot, add in all the aromatics. 


Stir-fry the aromatics. Until the garlic and onion are a bit translucent. 


Add in all the oxtail pieces. Add in the bay leaves. Add in the rest of the ingredients - dark and light soy sauces, brown sugar, and the water. Bring to a rolling boil on high heat and then reduce to low heat. Cook for 2-3 hours, or until the meat is tender. Remember to stir occasionally to avoid the meat from sticking to the bottom of the pot! If you have a slow cooker, this would be the perfect time to transfer and cook on high for 4 hours.

Top with green onions and serve with noodles or white rice! The meat is so perfectly glazed. It would make even Tom Colicchio proud! 

Enjoy!
XX
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.