Vietnam Memories

Ho Chi Minh City is a beast, you will either learn to survive or it will eat you and spit you out. Luckily I learned to survive by the skin of my teeth. You fight the road, you fight the vendors, you fight the people - I mean not literally but you have to learn how to navigate through or you'll be on the losing end. I figured out quickly, best to give exact change (some vendors "forget" to give you change) and ask the price before you dare consume or take anything (taxis, motorbikes). When walking, or crossing the street, hold your ground because they will not hit you - they may honk but its to let you know they are near or see you too. Once you have mastered those, then you can enjoy the great joys of Vietnam.

Ho Chi Minh City is a hot, crowded city of over ten million inhabitants; it is filled with rich history, delicious food, and over seven million motorbikes (you feel it too). This city is massive - Vietnam's largest city, formally named Saigon, it is sprawling with clothing and trinket shops, restaurants and vendors with plastic table and chairs and people stretched from corner to corner trying to get to their next destination. I can say that of all three cities, I enjoyed the food in Ho Chi Minh City the most. To be fair, I believe the Vietnamese food that has crossed over to the States is more Southern Vietnamese so I have been accustomed to the particular taste.















Hanoi and Halong Bay were more my temperament. Hanoi had beautiful vibrantly colored architecture, the people seemed calmer, the streets held less motorbikes (and they seemed to stay off the sidewalk) and the humidity was more favorable. The food in Hanoi is also more muted, less sweet, definitely more conservative on the spice but the food is still mouth-watering. Halong Bay was beautiful, it was jaw-dropping how beautiful this place really is. You need to experience it for yourself to understand the beauty of this place. However, I must preface that it is very touristy and I suggest to not book a group tour (like I did). I would do a private tour - and not visit the "beach" that they push on to you. I stayed at a local resort and their private beach was magical. It was tranquil and included great views of the 1,969 islands that incorporate Halong Bay. Definitely a highlight was swinging on beach overlooking all the tour ships cruising by.







Overall, my favorite part of my entire Vietnam trip was my adventure to the Mekong River. This river is a symbol of the journey of freedom for the Hmong people, though not from Vietnam, the Hmong people used the Mekong River to escape persecution after the Vietnam War from Laos to Thailand. It was particularly emotional because I was more to be aware of the hardships this country has faced in the hands of the Americans. It's been over 40 years since the Vietnam war, you are disconnected with the faces of the people affected by war. You feel a since of displeasure that your home country would go to war with a country as beautiful as Vietnam. The people that inhibit Vietnam were funny, kind, charming and some of the most beautiful people I have seen on my South East Asia trip.

Boy did I enjoy the food in Vietnam. I love Vietnamese food so much that its the only thing I learned how to pronounce well. I was told by several locals that my pronunciation of the food is perfect. Yes, it's because I have lots of practice from the 100s of times I've ordered it back in the States. Vietnamese people know how to make great noodle soups. A few of my favorites are below: pho, bun bo hue and banh canh. Of course, I couldn't leave without eating banh xeo from the infamous Banh Xeo 42a - where my favorite food idol Anthony Bourdain showcased on his television show - it did not disappoint. I also ate about 10 banh mis as well, the best was found at Banh Mi Huynh Hoa in Ho Chi Minh City - a clip of their "restaurant shop" is included above.


Pho Bo - Rare Beef and Brisket 


Bun Bo Hue with spices added 


Banh Canh Cua Tom


Banh Xeo

Till next time. 

XX Kathy


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.