Spicy Korean Pork - Daeji bulgogi

I was asked the question recently "Do you ever crave anything you cannot make?" I answered no!! :) I will make it my mission to learn how to make it! Luckily when I eat something I can often (not always) tell what ingredients are in the dish... and if I am not able to get all the ingredients I'm always open to improvisation.

This dish is one of my favorites at local Korean restaurants: spicy korean pork (daeji bulgogi). I wanted it today, yes, just today and decided to make it for dinner. I'm that easy! Therefore, I do not have a ton of pictures. Sorry no step by step pictures but I'll give you directions that will be easy to follow, I PROMISE!

Ingredients: 
1lb of pork belly cut up into 1" thick strips
1 teaspoon - red chili pepper
1/2 cup - Korean red pepper paste (Gochujang)
2 tablespoons - soy sauce
1/4 cup - brown sugar
1 tablespoon - sesame oil
2 tablespoons - rice wine (mirin)
1 teaspoon of ginger (2 small pieces of ginger)
2 garlic cloves
1 large onion
2 stalks of green onion - minced

I start out with slightly frozen pork belly. If you stick meat into the freezer for a quick freeze it is much easier to cut into thin strips. Cut the pork belly into 1/4" thick (1/8" works too), so super thin! Thin is in! :) My pork belly was precut by the butcher into 1" thick strips so if you have a big slab, please cut the pork belly into 1" thick strips before slicing into smaller pieces.

Marinate: Half of the large onion, all garlic cloves and ginger. If you have a large food processor you can cut all of the ingredients a little larger than bite size. Pulverize the three things plus the minced green onion in the processor until it's a paste like! I minced the green onion because my processor is tiny but you can just rough chop the onion stalks into 3 pieces and pulverize with the rest of the crew. After you get your onion/garlic/ginger/green onion paste, drop it directly on top of the cut up pork belly. This is where it gets fun! Add in the rest of the ingredients and mix with the best tools you have... your hands!! Mix mix until every since piece of pork belly is covered. Wrap and let it sit in the fridge for at least 30 mins, I like 1hr. Patience is a virtue!

Meanwhile....cut the other half of the onion into slices. You'll cook them with the pork.

Cooking: you can grill or fry it on a cast iron. I choose a cast iron because it provides a great crust to the meat, yum crispy meat! Add some oil to your pan, add the onions and finally add the pork. Fry up until the meat is all crispy and serve with rice! I added a little bit of seaweed on top. Who doesn't like seaweed? :)

Spicy Korean Pork - my rendition 

Enjoy!
Kathy
XX



1 comment:

Powered by Blogger.