Hmong Fawm Kauv - Steam rice rolls

Fawm Kauv (pronounced pho gao)

This recipe was shared with me by my step-mom. We made this dish for our Texas annual holiday celebration. My family is huge so the holidays are pot luck style - having one house cook for everyone would be an almost impossible task! I hope you enjoy the recipe - some of photos were taken by my little sisters. :)

Ingredients 
1lb of pork
1 cup of green onions (diced)
1 packet of Banh Cuon mix 
1 cup of cake flour (Step-mom's secret ingredient)
1 tablespoon of soy sauce
1 tablespoon of oyster sauce
Vegetable oil

Sauce Options
Soy sauce & ground chili 

Fish sauce recipe 
1 cup of water
1/4 cup of fish sauce - to taste
2 tablespoons of sugar - to taste
2 thai chilies
1 lime
1 clove of garlic - I smash it flat and put it in whole and take it out before eating
(Heat ingredients up in a pot and cool in the fridge before use)

My little sister chopping the green onions 


This dish is really easy to prep but time consuming when it comes to assembling the rolls! Patience and if you have to make a lot of it, might be best to have more than one cook! Please mix the banh cuon mix and cake flour with a few tablespoons of vegetable oil. Set it aside so it mixes together nicely.

Step mom browning the pork - this is more than a lb :) 


Brown all the ground pork and then drain the fat. I like to rinse the pork so that most of that fat is gone and then I put the pork back on the heat and add the green onions and soy sauce/oyster sauce. I realize Hmong cooking uses a lot of ground pork or pork -so when we can eliminate some saturated fat - the better.

The after shot!

The shorter the edges - the better 

Now the fun part starts! Please find super flat pan - crepe pan would work best! Unless you have one of those fancy banh cuon steamers! Oil the pan with a oil-drenched napkin or a fancy sauce brush. To keep the batter from sticking - you don't need to grease every single time you "steam" the batter. I like to do it every other time - or every three times just depending on how non-stick your pan is! The best thing to do is ladle a spoon full into hot pan and swerve the pan around so all the batter is thinly coating the hot pan. (picture below)

My little sister expertly coating the hot pan with the batter

Lid on!

On to a cutting board or this case - wax paper!

Spoon full of the ground pork mixture

Roll it up like you would a spring roll

Volia! Finished product!

Sorry I did not get any good photos with the sauce because we were all in a hurry to go to my grandma's house after we prepped over 100 rice rolls! Enjoy with the soy sauce - or fish sauce dip. 

XX
Kathy



5 comments:

  1. I make the same sauce for my fawm kauv! A lot of people seem to use a peanut sauce for everything-- egg rolls, spring rolls, fawm kauv.

    I came upon your blog by accident, looking for a recipe for pork with bamboo shoots (soup). Will be coming back to check out your recipes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Zoua!! I appreciate it!! Let me know if you have any recommendations of what you would like to see. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Kathy for posting up how to cook food, I have always been coming to your webpage looking for how to make food and I am so glad that i bump into knowing how to cook for my husband because of your great help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Nunu Vang! I'm starting up again! I hope you enjoy!

      Delete

Powered by Blogger.