Easy Turkey Shepherd's Pie

Being in graduate school has made me efficiently utilize my time, therefore, I am more into weekly casseroles because you only have to cook once!  Every time I see shepherd's pie on a menu, I can't help but gravitate towards it. However, I never ordered one that I had to have again. I always felt their renditions did not have enough flavor, or enough filling to the mashed potato topping. I know if I had an Irish mom, I would have the dish my heart was seeking, since I don't, I decided to make my own and tackle this dish. When I think shepherd's pie, I want a savory filling with a delicious mashed potato topping, accompanied by some gravy on the inside (even on top!). I hope that you find this recipe delicious enough to satisfy your ultimate comfort food needs.


Ingredients: 
3 large potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 onion, chopped
1 lb of ground turkey
1 tbsp of AP flour
2 tablespoon of tomato paste
1 cup of chicken stock
4 carrots, chopped
2 cups of peas
2 cups of corn
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup of milk for potatoes
1/2 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of garlic powder
1 tbsp of soy sauce (Worcestershire sauce)

Optional:
Turkey gravy 

You'll want to get the potatoes cooked! Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil, add in the diced potatoes and cook until fork tender. This should take about 10-15 minutes, do not over cook! Once the potatoes are al dente, drain and put back into the hot pot (heat should be off), mash the potatoes and add in the butter, milk, salt and pepper; set aside. You'll want the potatoes to cool but not cold, it will be easier to handle later on.

In a heavy-bottomed pan, saute the onions and carrots in a bit of vegetable oil until soft; set aside. In the same pan, saute the garlic, ground turkey with spices until the meat is thoroughly cooked. If there is any excess liquid - please drain, you won't want a runny casserole. Add in the tomato paste, chicken stock, corn and bring to a boil. I added in some AP flour to help thicken the filling. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Now the fun part! Take a casserole pan (I used glass) and add ALL of the filling to the bottom of the pan, spread evenly. Then add in your carrots, onions and top it off with your peas. Once all the fillings were in, this is where you add in the optional turkey gravy and then top with the mashed potato mixture!

Bake in the 350 degree oven for 30-40 minutes, first half of the time covered, remove foil for the last half.


Enjoy!
XX
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.