Slow Cooker Butter Chicken

The beginning of 2017 in a few words: trying, challenging and life-changing. I will not go into too many details but definitely life can be great even during the most trying of times. My outlet during these times is to step into the kitchen cook something comforting and hearty. Therefore, this next recipe is one I found online with a few of my little tweaks to my liking. Again, super easy and delicious.


Ingredients: 
4 large chicken breast, 1" pieces
1 large onion, diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
2 teaspoons curry powder
2 teaspoon garam masala
1 can (6oz) tomato paste
1 cup of low-fat plain yogurt
1/2 cup of heavy cream
1 can (14oz) of coconut milk
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (I cut into large 1" chunks and remove the pieces when dish is complete) 

Optional: 
2 tablespoons white sugar - to taste, I wanted it a bit sweet.

Even though I'm using a crock-pot, I like to always brown my chicken outside of the crock-pot for extra flavor. Start with melting the butter and a bit of vegetable oil (the oil helps you get the temperature higher when cooking since butter burns quickly), add in the chicken and cook through, then add the onion and garlic. Cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Transfer the chicken and aromatics into the slow cooker and stir in the spices, ginger and tomato paste. Stir well. Then add in the yogurt, heavy cream, and coconut milk. Mix well.

Cook on high for 4-6 hours. If you are home, I like to stir it every 2 hours (or when you remember) but definitely is not necessary. When the chicken is fork tender (you can use the fork to easily pull apart the meat) it's ready! Please adjust to taste adjusting salt and pepper. I'm known to eat my food with the least amount of salt, therefore, I do not get offended when my guests like to add some. Even though I give them the third degree (for health reasons, not from hurt feelings). Serve over basmati rice and enjoy.

XX
Enjoy!
Kathy

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.