Exquisite Hong Kong

Hong Kong can be described as exquisite, its pleasureful and painful at the same time but both forms are extremely rewarding. The first thing I noticed that the weather was exponentially better than Thailand, it was almost cold - mind you, I've been in 100 degree heat with 100% humidity for the prior two weeks. WINNING! 

Also, fortunately for me when I stepped off the plane, I was met with my girlfriend and her husband from the States. I was never happier to see people I could have a complete conversation with. You do not realize the things you take for granted until you are away from people you know and the language you speak and understand.

A few things I was fascinated by: the Hong Kong skyline. Wow, it really is like no other. I was on the Kowloon side the first night so I was able to view the dense skyline of the Hong Kong Island. This view blew LA, SF, Chicago, NY (you get the point) out of the water, even Shanghai. All I did was say "Wow, wow, omg, wow" over and over. The next day I was able to view Hong Kong from Victorias Peak - this was unbelievable. This densely populated island uses every square inch of their land and it shows - buildings are close together and seemed like 95% were skyscrapers. This is where it was painful, talk about feeling like an ant, this touristy place was so crowded you were rubbing elbows as you walk down the paths to get a glance at the breathtaking view. Not for the faint of heart or those who enjoy peaceful travel spots.



HOW'S THE FOOD!? I read somewhere that Hong Kong has one of the highest ratios of restaurants per head in the world. To me, that is delectable heaven. Being in Hong Kong for only a few days, I was fortunate enough to try out a couple of places that have mentions in local food bloggers must try list: Kau Kee Beef Brisket and One Dim Sum. One of my favorite was the curry beef tendon with e-fu noodles from Kau Kee Beef Brisket. The brisket was so tender but still had texture to it. Though the curry noodle dish is delicious the perfect complement is the regular beef brisket noodle. After several bites of each dish, I actually enjoyed the simplicity of the regular beef brisket over the curry noodles. However, do not choose one, get both! The bowl of noodles are small in appearance, in comparison to U.S. standards but big things come in small packages. The noodles were hearty, hefty and left me in a major food daze afterwards. You cannot leave Hong Kong without trying dim sum: One's sui mai and lo mai gai were some of the best I have ever had in my life. I can tell why this restaurant earned its Michelin stars in 2011 and 2012. In Macau, I enjoyed the pork chop sandwich - a whole chop between bread with egg - HEART ATTACK but I would have died a happy woman. I love how budget friendly these Michelin star/guide book locations are on the wallet. I am not a fan of HK breakfast that include macaroni soup and luncheon meat - so I steered clear from those. I recommend local bakeries and street vendors for your eats. 





I am happy I was able to experience Hong Kong with my most favorite girlfriend and meet up with my family/friends from home. What an experience! See you next time Hong Kong! 



1 comment:

  1. Exotic pictures. Beautiful. Good place to visit in my next travel. Be sure to view my India travel channel. Thanks for viewing.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.