First Thoughts of Thailand


The next few posts will be my current travels throughout Southeast Asia. I will continue KathyNomNom recipes upon my return, hopefully with replications and much needed inspiration from all the "yummy" eats I am currently enjoying. This three month Southeast Asia trip will consist of Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore, Vietnam, Japan, South Korea and Laos - with me exploring at least 14 different cities/regions - possibly more depending on how advantageous I am.



Thailand in one word is revelatory. It is almost too overwhelming but if you let yourself relax and let the city surround you, it’s truly magical. The sights, the sounds, and the feeling you are immersed in from the moment you step into Bangkok, it's all-consuming. It is something a person must experience to truly understand. My experience here will be something I hope I never forget.



The famous Thai smile. The hospitality here is remarkable, a large city of over 8 million people but the all the people are kind, respectful, extremely funny and careful with those around them. The language barrier was hardly an issue as polite nods and large smiles get you a long way in Bangkok. The traffic is no joke but you only hear honking to let you know they are behind you – everyone drives chaotically (in my U.S. eyes) but in the most polite way possible. There are motorbikes riding on the sidewalks, going the wrong way on the main roads and going full speed past you in narrow alleys. It just works and it works well. This seems like an anomaly until you see it for yourself. I will definitely miss these sounds.

This is a hustling and bustling city, however, your ears drown out the sounds of sirens and car horns but rather focuses on the sounds of food sizzling on the streets. The street vendors smiling at you as you eye their delicious eats, you want to try everything but you have to settle on something because everything looks so delectable. Thai people understand the importance of delicious food and if there is a corner to spare, the resourceful Thai set up a rollaway stand to service the community within its reach. TRY EVERYTHING. TRY IT ONCE. IT’S ALL DELICIOUS. I PROMISE. Every thing I tried was my new favorite dish. However, always my favorite is Nam Kam Tod, ingredients shown below. It’s crispy fried rice with fermented pork and lots of aromatics. The best dish on this planet.











The weather is something less palatable, it’s so hot, it’s so humid, it’s so sticky you cannot believe. However, the sights make you momentarily refocus your pains of discomfort. Thailand is of course most famously known for their remarkable temples and they did not disappoint. Though the Thai people are humble and conservative, the temples are far from timid but rather vibrant, large and calling for much attention. Some of my favorites below, Wat Arun, Wat Phra Kaew, Ayutthaya City, and Wat Pho (Reclining Buddha).









Thailand will always have a special place in my heart because it is where I started my Southeast Asia journey. I am happy to say I will be back in a few months to explore Phuket, Chiang Mai, and Chiang Rai.







Next stop, Hong Kong!

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.